The Mazda car manufacturing company is a Japanese based conglomerate that has been in operation since the start of 1920.
The Mazda 3 goes by different names in different regions:
- In Europe it is known as the Mazda3 MPS
- In Japan it goes by the name Mazdaspeed Axela which translates as “Acceleration”
- Lastly in North America it is known as the Mazdaspeed 3
The compact car was first available in 2003 to the general public and took over from the Mazda C (or known globally as the Familia/323/Protegé).
The car has gone through 3 major redesigns, styled by such designers as:
- Hasip Girgin
- Kunihiko Kurisu
- Koichi Tabata
The 2019 model of the Mazda 3 features cutting edge fuel effective all wheel drive technology and high quality audio entertainment.
You can get the latest model as either a hatchback of a saloon style of car depending on your requirements.
In terms of engine, you can choose a sensible 1.8 litre diesel or opt for a sporty supercharged 2 litre, in either manual or automatic transmission.
A sports version of the Mazda3 was released in several regions with a larger petrol engine and tighter gearbox.
Common Problems With The Mazda 3
After looking through forums and checking on the common technical/mechanical problems experienced by Mazda 3 owners, I found that there top the complaints:
- Electrical problems – such as dashboard and electric windows
- Air-conditioning – either not working at all or blowing warm air
- Clutch – sticking frequently when driving or the fly-by-wire mechanism failing (average cost of $1,200)
- Brake problems – too soft or even juddering
- Engine – occasionally refusing to start in harsh weather conditions such as freezing